Monday, May 4, 2009

Eating Out with Unruly Children

I received my tax return a while back, so I took the kids out to dinner at a Chinese buffet. They were pretty excited, because, since I lost my job, we've been eating at home most of the time.
It was a horrible experience!
Mr. 13-year-old "I'm-the-favorite" proclaimed that he didn't like Chinese food, so I spent $10 for him to eat macaroni and cheese and green beans. He also called his older brothers "fatty" several times...and, no, I don't believe he meant to put a ph in place of the f.
The hyper 15-year-old couldn't seem to stop swearing and talking about inappropriate (mostly vulgar) matters. He left a bigger mess around his plate than the dog would have. He was so out of control that I asked him several times whether he'd taken his meds.
The 16-year-old "I'm-your-only-good-kid" joined in on the vulgar verbal fun with his younger brother. In addition, he threatened the youngest with family excommunication if he didn't eat at least one piece of fried food!
Honest, I DID NOT raise these children this way.
And they usually aren't that bad. Granted, Hyper Boy is sloppy. I remember him falling asleep, face first, into his mashed potatoes when he was just a baby. And the youngest and oldest both love attention - whether good or bad.
But I was so embarrassed by their behavior, I threatened to never take them to a sit-down restaurant again. Although they attempted to act like it didn't bother them, the next time I took them, they behaved.
Of course, that could have been because my mother was there, and they knew if they misbehaved, they'd get THE LOOK!

No comments:

Post a Comment