Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Single Working Parent Homeschooling Part IV

Part IV: Accredited versus nonaccredited curricula
I don't have a lot of money, but I do have time and some familiarity with the Web, so I develop my own curriculum. It does follow state recommendations for my child's grade level (check your state board of education for this information), but it utilizes online Websites and books left over from my college courses, purchased at garage sales and bought on eBay or Amazon.
Not only is it cheap, it's flexible. It permits me to add advanced math and remedial reading to my son's curriculum. And if my son has difficulty with some parts, I can find easier teachings until he can get caught up.
Accredited curricula are accredited by regional authorities. Ground schools are accredited by the state. All the virtual schools with which I'm familiar are accredited. Accredited curricula can also be purchased.
Of course, an accredited curriculum can be pretty expensive, what with supplies, Web components, books, etc. I've found that the more expensive the curriculum, the easier it is to tailor it to meet your child's specific needs.
State-sponsored e-schools can be flexible, but I've found it somewhat difficult and time-consuming to do so.
The chief advantage of an accredited curriculum is that it may make it easier if your child ever decides to transition to ground school or if your child wishes to go on to college.
For example, when my 16-year-old decided he wanted to go to ground school after two years of homeschool, the local high school attempted to put him back in the ninth grade because his curriculum was nonaccredited. I had to show them how they were not only flouting state law, but their own local guidelines and threaten a lawsuit before they let him go into eleventh grade. Even then, they forced him to take a whole battery of tests.
Another advantage of an accredited curriculum is that, in legal matters, it's more accepted. For example, if you're ever involved in a custody case or your child goes to court for a minor infraction of the law, an accredited curriculum is an advantage.
When my 15-year-old son was charged with indecent exposure for mooning the school bus (yes, the local barneys have nothing better to do), the judge demanded proof of what he was studying. Having a printed curriculum that followed state standards was very helpful, but the issue never would have come up if he'd followed an accredited curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment